Bitcoin.org is 10 Years Old
Bitcoin.org, registered August 18, 2008
This month marks 10 years since the bitcoin.org domain was registered. Bitcoin.org was originally registered and owned by Bitcoin’s first two developers, Satoshi Nakamoto and Martti Malmi. When Satoshi left the project, he gave ownership of the domain to additional people, separate from the Bitcoin developers, to spread responsibility and prevent any one person or group from easily gaining control over the Bitcoin project.
Bitcoin.org’s code is open source. Final publication authority is held by the co-owners, but all regular activity is organized through the public pull request process and managed by the site maintainer. To date on GitHub, there have been over 4,400 commits from 245 contributors from all over the world. In addition to this, over 1000 translators have helped to make the site display natively to visitors by default in their own languages — now 27 different languages and growing.
Here are a few mentions and links to bitcoin.org from over the years:
- 2009 - Bitcoin open source implementation of P2P currency
- 2010 - Bitcoin Releases Version 0.3
- 2011 - Bitcoin - A Step Toward Censorship-Resistant Digital Currency
- 2012 - Bitcoin - The Libertarian Introduction
- 2013 - The Economics of Bitcoin
- 2014 - The Best Places on the Internet to Learn About Bitcoin
- 2015 - Russia blocks bitcoin websites over “shadow economy” fears
- 2016 - What’s Gitian Building? How Bitcoin’s Security Processes Became a Model for Open Source
- 2017 - Bitcoin: What’s in the whitepaper?
Today, bitcoin.org is one of the most visited Bitcoin websites and receives millions of visitors. Many thanks to all of the contributors who have spent their time improving the site!
Interested in getting involved?
You can report any problem or help to improve bitcoin.org on GitHub by opening an issue or a pull request. When submitting a pull request, please take required time to discuss your changes and adapt your work. You can also help with translations by joining a team on Transifex.